• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card Renewal - Opinion

I have renewal coming after couple of days for my American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card. I just spoke with Amex support and they provided me 3 options for renewal benefit. Spent over 7 lacs in last year on my Platinum Travel credit card.

I also hold Amex Platinum Charge Card.

1. Discount of 50% on renewal fee that I end up paying 2900 Rupees, No Reward Points offered.
2. Pay full fee 5900 Rupees and get 10000 Amex Reward Points.
3. Pay 10000 Amex Reward Points from my Existing Reward point balance for full fee waiver of 5900 Rupees.

I think option 2 is better, interested to know your option and thoughts. They are not ready to negotiate beyond above 3 options, I tried my best.

Looking forward to hear from you guys.

Cheers!

I have renewal coming after couple of days for my American Express Platinum Travel Credit Card. I just spoke with Amex support and they provided me 3 options for renewal benefit. Spent over 7 lacs in last year on my Platinum Travel credit card.

1. Discount of 50% on renewal fee that I end up paying 2900 Rupees, No Reward Points offered.
3. Pay 10000 Amex Reward Points from my Existing Reward point balance for full fee waiver of 5900 Rupees.

I think option 2 is better, interested to know your option and thoughts. They are not ready to negotiate beyond above 3 options, I tried my best.

Cheers!
Generally people consider 1 MR point as 0.5 so we can say 10k points as 5k Rs. In that case
Option 2 - you get 5k Rs (10k points) by paying 5900 Rs
Option 3 - you save 5900 Rs by paying 5k Rs(10k) points.
Isin't option 3 better? If you can extract more value than 0.5 Rs then definitely 2nd option is better.

Cheers!
Ask for a spends based waiver offer if possible wherein x amount has to be reached within 3 months of renewal.

If you are not getting the same then
Option 2 if you are into Taj/Mariott. If not planning a stay within a year then option 3.

Generally people consider 1 MR point as 0.5 so we can say 10k points as 5k Rs. In that case
Isin't option 3 better?
Yeah, that's why I have asked for opinion here. It's like MCQ.. where both answers looking good but have to choose one.

Ask for a spends based waiver offer if possible wherein x amount has to be reached within 3 months of renewal.

If you are not getting the same then
Option 2 if you are into Taj/Mariott. If not planning a stay within a year then option 3.
Yes, I stay often into Taj/Marriot that's why I am more inclined towards option 2. I am also thinking I am loosing 10000 points worth 5000 Rs. with option 3. Where option 2 is giving back 5000 Rupees as RP.

I would go with option 3. Because of calculation based on 1 MR = 0.5
Also you can buy 10k points in 4k Rs by asking AMEX. So you can pay fees with 10k points & then buy same points for 4k again so you save 1.9k.
Yes, I also calculated same as it gives value per RP = 59 paise. However, I am loosing 10000 points valued 5000. While I get 5000 Rupees worth of points I can use for hotels for paying full fee.

Yes, I also calculated same as it gives value per RP = 59 paise. However, I am looking 10000 points valued 5000. While I get 5000 Rupees worth of points I can use for hotels for paying full fee.
Actually i made wrong calculation
Option 3 is worst - basically you pay 10k points for fee waiver, then spend 4k to buy those points back so you effectively pay 4k for fee waiver. This is good only if you have access points & no specific use.
Option 1 is OK - you pay 2900
Option 2 is best - anyway you have to pay 2900 to keep car active so you pay another 3k to get 10k points which is good.
Can you try to get 12k points for fee payment, that should seal the deal.

Option 3 is worst - basically you pay 10k points for fee waiver, then spend 4k to buy those points back so you effectively pay 4k for fee waiver. This is good only if you have access points & no specific use.
Option 2 is best - anyway you have to pay 2900 to keep car active so you pay another 3k to get 10k points which is good.
I will again give them trouble to raise points to 12000. Let's see.

Paying with 10000 points for 5900 Fees and buying 10000 RP for 4000 Rupee seems good as well.

There's a 4th option that offers fee waiver based on certain spending milestone within the next 90 days.

If you have big spends coming up, you can try for that as well!

Isin't option 3 better? If you can extract more value than 0.5 Rs then definitely 2nd option is better.
Isn't option 1 better than option 3 ?
If you consider value of point as 0.5 and renewal is worth 10k points then you are essentially buying 10k points for 2900 which is better than the points purchase for 4k?
These 3 options seem to be in a loop.

Isn't option 1 better than option 3 ?
If you consider value of point as 0.5 and renewal is worth 10k points then you are essentially buying 10k points for 2900 which is better than the points purchase for 4k?
These 3 options seem to be in a loop.
already corrected in next comment - option 3 is worst.

Cheers!
The 3 options make it obvious that American express is valuing their own points at 29.5 paisa.
Because at 29.5 Paisa point value, all three options work out to the same for American express
So in all three options you will be spending/losing 2950.

1) you spend 2950.
2) pay 5900, get 10k points worth 2950, so you lose 2950
3) pay 10k points worth 2950, so you spend 2950

Now if you can use the Amex points to get 40p value, then the calculations change as follows--

1) you spend 2950.
2) pay 5900, get 10k points worth 4000, so you lose 1900
3) pay 10k points worth 4000, so you spend 4000.
Then second option is the best

Last edited:
Even American express would prefer that you pay 5900 & get 10k points because they are creating millions of points out of thin air, without any control or limit; and trying to exchange it for real money!

The 3 options make it obvious that American express is valuing their own points at 29.5 paisa.
So in all three options you are losing 2950.

1) you spend 2950.
2) pay 5900, get 10k points worth 2950, so you lose 2950
3) pay 10k points worth 2950, so you spend 2950

Now if you can use the Amex points to get 40p value, then the calculations change as follows--

1) you spend 2950.
2) pay 5900, get 10k points worth 4000, so you lose 1900
3) pay 10k points worth 4000, so you spend 4000.
Then second option is the best
I will likely buy Taj Voucher worth 5000₹ or will convert to Marriot

Back