• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

IDFC savings interest rate reduction

Any particular reason?? Savings account have the flexibility of withdrawal whenever needed and IDFC credits interest on monthly basis which will have compounding effect right?
I will tell my situation.

One month back put 1 lakh in SBI 47 day deposit (5.5% interest) eventhough I knew I may need it before 47 days are completed. I had to break it at 30 days. But still got 3% interest. Instead of putting FD, If I held it in IDFC savings account, I would have got 3.5% (now reduced to 3%). But consider the scenario where I didnt need that amount at 30 days and was able to push till 47 days before withdrawing that amounnt, I would have got 5.5%.

There is no issue in liquidity with FD. Just click on break FD and you will get the money in Savings account instantly

One month back put 1 lakh in SBI 47 day deposit (5.5% interest) eventhough I knew I may need it before 47 days are completed. I had to break it at 30 days. But still got 3% interest. Instead of putting FD, If I held it in IDFC savings account, I would have got 3.5% (now reduced to 3%). But consider the scenario where I didnt need that amount at 30 days and was able to push till 47 days before withdrawing that amounnt, I would have got 5.5%.

There is no issue in liquidity with FD. Just click on break FD and you will get the money in Savings account instantly
Yes, you can break FD with some penalty or reduction in percentage with Insurance too. But I prefer having in IDFC Savings because Avg balance day wise and interest credited on monthly basis. Yes every use case and individual preference will be different. (y)

In the situation where you have 10 lakh and dont want to lock it in FD, putting it in IDFC Savings will result in massive interest loss on the amount under 5 lakhs (around 2.5%).

But it all depends on the turnover. If one is very sure than the money will be needed soon like maybe within 1 month, then keeping in savings is ok. Because of the interest payout monthly with the compounding effect. Even in this situation, Indusind savings account is an option if holding less than 5 lakhs.

Indusind: Upto 1 lakh- 3.5%, 1 to 5 lakhs- 5%. But interest payout quarterly.

But some people keep large amounts in savings accounts as emergency funds. I wouldnt advise it.

Any particular reason?? Savings account have the flexibility of withdrawal whenever needed and IDFC credits interest on monthly basis which will have compounding effect right?
Direct FD and FD through Auto Sweep facility can also be withdrawn at anytime when needed but may attract some % of charges subject to bank's policy.

FD offers high interest rate in comparison to SA. Though having compounding effect, it usually can't match with the FD rate of interest in real sense.

Effective rate of Interest and probability of premature withdrawal, when only charges are >, play important role in decision making.

Last edited:
W
Yes. Previously, it was 7% for 5-10 lakhs and 7.25% for more than 10 lakhs. So beneficial for those keeping more than 5 lakhs

Note: Its always better to keep money in FD rather than savings account
Why to keep in savings or fd? Instead better to keep in liquid fund or if willing to take little more risk (for lesser tax burden) arbitrage mutual fund

Sadly they also reduced interest rate for FDs..now highest interest rate is 7.75. It used to be 7.9 for one period. At the time when baks are facing deposit crunch, these moves seems counter productive.

You can is use a liquid or overnight mutual fund, you'll get 6%+

Back