• Hey there! Welcome to TFC! View fewer ads on the website just by signing up on TF Community.

NEW American express Platinum charge Fees and Benefits

Amex has to take GC seriously. They are more interested on Platinum range cards only.
They are not doing it because lot of people have this LTF. in early days they offered this for corporate tie ups. My father's friend who used to be a reliance employee have this LTF.

if they update this product. they have no option but to provide this as LTF for this customers.

• Wow
Reactions: BVC
Amex has to take GC seriously. They are more interested on Platinum range cards only.

Definitely, for the annual fee, they need to add more benefits to the card.
People still think MRCC is better than Gold Charge, just for this reason.

While most people love the Plat Travel card which obviously is the best in the lineup.
But with more perks on Gold, it could encourage more people to get it! :)

Reactions: BVC
Do nothing.
  1. Make it metal
  2. Merge both plat travel and Gold Charge into one product
  3. Make the fee 10k + GST
I'll happily pay for it. Hell I hold both Plat travel and GC.

Anything above that like multipliers in categories I'll take it happily. Make 15k+ if they have to
If they revamp GC they will definitely push it somewhere around 20K as per my feeling looking at the Amex pricing these days. 25K annual charge with 2/Qtr Amex lounge access with some hotel loyalty benefits should be a good deal I feel.

If they revamp GC they will definitely push it somewhere around 20K as per my feeling looking at the Amex pricing these days. 25K annual charge with 2/Qtr Amex lounge access with some hotel loyalty benefits should be a good deal I feel.
@BestBanker will first notify us of this change if any. I don't think AMEX is even thinking about gold charge card in India.

In other countries, gold charge card is offered in metal variant!

I posted about desirable gold charge card several months back.

Last edited:
If they do that they will destroy both variant. GC will become useless . Benefits will be reduced instilling ideas to amex is dangerous lot of others are using GC and plat travel separately for different benefits. Don't think they will merge it and benefit will be a crop just like what they did to part chg. My one cent thought.

The bottom line is, do you already lead an opulent lifestyle and are willing to shell out more than the average person for the finer experiences of life? You’ll get even better value for your extravagance with this card. The fee hike is a chump change for you to continue living that lifestyle.

But if you are someone who believes in saving every penny while trying to get the best bang for your buck, stay away, far far away from this card. Even if you got carried away by the hype and got this card for the first year, in the depths of your frugal heart you know that you don’t belong here.
<Longish post in the interest of full disclosure />

I have gone ahead and done the unthinkable. For the next one year, I'll be holding the Platinum Card at the existing annual fee. I received the 135k MR offer again and found it to be a great deal. As I said previously, I had been receiving the same offer earlier as well, but there was no compelling reason to take it. Now there is.

So what changed? I have two international trips coming up in the next quarter, both of which span airports that aren't covered by my Infinia Priority Pass. I'd also be able to leverage the Gold tier at some Marriott properties.

But I still stand by what I said before. This card isn't for me and I don't think I'll be renewing it, especially given the change in pricing and features. And before someone calls me out as setting a bad example to others, I'd like to clarify that I'm doing pretty well for myself and lead a fairly comfortable life, and occasionally spend money on the finer stuff too.

In short, I certainly won't be taking a personal loan to pay the AF.

But I just can't bring myself to spend lavishly as I'm big into simple living and minimalism and all that, and still carry the middle-class mindset. Most of my spends therefore will continue to be charged to my other far more rewarding cards, and this card might mostly stay at home and remain the coupon-book it is.

I have gone ahead and done the unthinkable. For the next one year, I'll be holding the Platinum Card at the existing annual fee. I received the 135k MR offer again and found it to be a great deal. As I said previously, I had been receiving the same offer earlier as well, but there was no compelling reason to take it. Now there is.

So what changed? I have two international trips coming up in the next quarter, both of which span airports that aren't covered by my Infinia Priority Pass. I'd also be able to leverage the Gold tier at some Marriott properties.

But I still stand by what I said before. This card isn't for me and I don't think I'll be renewing it, especially given the change in pricing and features. And before someone calls me out as setting a bad example to others, I'd like to clarify that I'm doing pretty well for myself and lead a fairly comfortable life, and occasionally spend money on the finer stuff too.

But I just can't bring myself to spend lavishly as I'm big into simple living and minimalism and all that, and still carry the middle-class mindset. Most of my spends therefore will continue to be charged to my other far more rewarding cards, and this card might mostly stay at home and remain the coupon-book it is.
You are right from your perspective. Decision is always in your hands. Current pricing is not that good for the benefit they have given. I never thought they would go for ott and prime lite it does not do justice and they took taj with a spend of 20lkhs. Not at all good. Even am in same but since I stay a lot in marriot and moving to gold status with out much stay is good on with Hilton and raddison. Am not sure which idiot gave them the idea of giving wrong benefit and Removing birthday Taj voucher and spend criteria. Happy journey and happy landings for your international trip.

Last edited:

I think someone from the mods should do a detailed review again on this card.
Everybody was going for it when they got the 135k mr points offer and suddenly the card sucks because of the hike? Its still available at 60k plus taxes and the 135k offer and you’ll get the new benefits also if you take it now. Imo if you can afford it and make use of the points and get some value back, why not?
You have a year to decide if the card is worth a renewal for you.

From this,

You can cope all you want, I’m genuinely not bothered by this change as I couldn’t convince myself to get this card even when they were offering 135k points for 3 months earlier this year. But good on you if you think you know better than some of the smartest investment bankers in the industry.
eventually coming to this,

It must have been a crazy roller-coaster journey!
But I'm glad you finally convinced yourself and understand how useful the card can be.

Welcome to the AmEx Platinum Club!

60L p.a ,yeah that would make them give you whatever you want

They should've offered you Centurion by now
No, they dont treat customer base don spending, the more u spend the less they give importance as spending according to amex is a habit and it wont reduce, the offers they targets are basically to retain normal spenders .. for amex normal spenders offers more value in huge numbers than high spenders and they can loose them at any time

No, they dont treat customer base don spending, the more u spend the less they give importance as spending according to amex is a habit and it wont reduce, the offers they targets are basically to retain normal spenders .. for amex normal spenders offers more value in huge numbers than high spenders and they can loose them at any time
I read somewhere that Amex sends out centurion invites to only high spenders on plat charge,
also type of spends matter, as busniess spends are not given as importance as personal luxury spends

Back